Readmission Procedures

B.A./B.S. or BLS students who discontinue attendance for three consecutive semesters or more are no longer considered to be in a degree program at the University. Students who wish to return to study must reapply for admission if their last cumulative GPA was a 2.0 or better and if they were not on an approved Leave of Absence. Students who do not return to study within one semester after the conclusion of their approved Leave of Absence are also no longer considered to be in a degree program at the University.

Students may begin the readmission process through the Office of Admissions. For student’s whose last cumulative GPA was less than 2.00, readmission is subject to review by the Committee on Academic Standing which is administered through the Office of Academic Services. Students seeking readmission requiring such review must first complete the application for readmission with the Office of Admissions and then schedule a readmission advising appointment with the Office of Academic Services.

Students seeking such readmission must submit transcripts of any academic work completed while not in attendance at the University of Mary Washington for evaluation and consideration of transfer credit. Previously earned UMW credits will also be reviewed for possible application to the current curriculum. Further, students who are readmitted must follow the graduation requirements and major requirements of the Catalog in force at the time of their readmission.

An undergraduate student who is seeking readmission to the University may choose to have all University of Mary Washington course work that is at least seven academic years old not counted in the calculation of the GPA by declaring Academic Bankruptcy. A student who chooses this option receives credit for courses in which a grade of at least “C” was earned; the grades for such courses, however, are not included in the computation of the GPA.  The decision to declare Academic Bankruptcy must be made at the time of re-enrollment and can be claimed no more than once in a student’s career at the University.

Students who have completed a B.A., B.S., or BLS degree who are continuing their enrollment to complete a second major or to complete requirements for teacher licensure do not need to reapply for admission.  However, students who are resuming attendance after completing one degree to complete a second degree must seek admission to the second degree program through the Office of Admissions. The Office of Academic and Career Services provides additional information regarding the readmission process.