Reminder List for Students Seeking a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science Degree Who Matriculated after Fall 1997 and before Fall 2008:
The final responsibility for meeting specific requirements for a degree rests entirely with the student. The following is a brief reminder list. For details and other requirements, consult the Dictionary of Academic Regulations, the official online list of courses in Banner for the semester in which the course is taken, the Guide to Registration, and the UMW Undergraduate Academic Catalog.
- A Degree Application (with correct completion and diploma dates) filed in the Office of the Registrar during the second semester of the junior year by the announced deadline.
- An officially declared and successfully completed Major Program.
- Departmental approval of the Major Program, evidenced by a Senior Checksheet/Degree Verification completed and signed by the student and the major advisor, on file in the Office of the Registrar by announced deadlines for summer, fall, or spring completion.
- At least 122 valid credits earned.
- At least a 2.00 grade-point average in the Major Program (UMW coursework) and at least a 2.00 cumulative grade-point average for all UMW coursework.
- Successful completion of all eight General Education Goals.
- Successful completion of the Across-the-Curriculum Requirements.
Speaking Intensive: Two courses
Writing Intensive: Four courses beyond ENGL 101 (or five courses, if exempt from ENGL 101)
- No more than two physical education (PHYD) credits in any single semester or entire summer session (all terms), and no more than 8 PHYD credits in all.
- Completion of outcomes assessment testing, as required.
- No more than one pass/fail course per semester or entire summer session, and no more than 8 pass/fail courses in all. No more than two satisfactory/unsatisfactory courses per semester.
- No more than 7 repeated courses. (Repeats are permitted only in courses in which the original grade was C-, D+, D, F, or FA).
- Pass/fail courses used only as general electives.
- At least 30 credits earned at UMW as a degree-seeking student (not including physical education credits or credits earned as a special non-degree student).
- Fifteen of the last 21 credits for the degree earned at UMW (or a maximum of 6 transfer credits in the last 21 credits taken).
- At least one-half of the Major Program required credits earned at UMW.
- No more than 60 credits in any one discipline counted in the required 122 credits.
- No more than 8 credits in theatre practicum (THEA 390).
- No more than 8 credits in debate practicum (SPCH 470, COMM 481, COMM 482, COMM 483).
- No more than 12 credits of individual instruction in music counted in the required 122 credits, and no more than 10 credits in music ensemble courses (orchestra, chorus, ensemble).
- No more than 12 credits (combined total) in internship and supervised teaching.
- No more than 12 credits in education (EDUC) courses counted for students not accepted into a specific teacher licensure program.
- Only the specific education courses required for one approved teacher licensure program can be counted in the required 122 credits. Students pursuing elementary licensure may not count any secondary education courses. Students pursuing secondary licensure may not count any elementary education courses. A student pursuing teacher licensure must apply and be accepted into a specific licensure program offered by the UMW Department of Education.
- All new B.A./B.S. degree-seeking students must demonstrate proficiency with information technology prior to graduation. Students who matriculate during or after fall 2007 are no longer required to meet this requirement.
Call the Office of Academic Services, 654-1010, should you have any questions about the academic policies of the University.