Reminder List for Students Seeking a Bachelor of Liberal Studies Degree For Students Matriculating Fall 2008 and Beyond:
The final responsibility for meeting specific requirements for a degree rests entirely with the student. The following is a brief reminder list. For details and other requirements, consult the Dictionary of Academic Regulations, the official online list of courses in Banner for the semester in which the course is taken, the Guide to Registration, and the UMW Undergraduate Academic Catalog.
- A Degree Application (with correct completion and diploma dates) filed in the Office of the Registrar one year prior to the anticipated graduation date.
- Senior graduation check completed the semester before the planned semester of graduation.
- An officially declared and successfully completed Major Program.
- B.L.S. Committee approval of a special major (and any later changes in the major) as evidenced by an approved degree plan and appropriate follow-up paperwork.
- At least 120 valid credits earned.
- At least a 2.00 grade-point average in the Major Program (UMW coursework) and at least a 2.00 cumulative grade-point average for all UMW coursework.
- Successful completion of all General Education Distribution Area requirements:
Quantitative Reasoning: 3 credits
Natural Science: 4 credits
Quantitative Reasoning or Natural Science: 3 credits
Human Experience and Society: 6 credits
Global Inquiry: 3 credits
Arts, Literature & Performance: 6 credits
- Successful completion of the Across-the-Curriculum Requirements:
Writing Intensive: 9 credits
Speaking Intensive: 3 credits
- No more than 20% pass/fail courses in all, provided the courses are not transfer courses or general education/major courses.
- Pass/fail courses used only as electives.
- No more than 6 credits in PHYD.
- No more than 8 credits in theater practicum (THEA 390).
- No more than 8 credits in debate practicum (SPCH 470).
- No more than 7 repeated courses (for courses in which the original grade was C-, D+, D, F, or FA). Only 2 repeats per semester.
- At least 30 resident credits at UMW.
- At least 15 major credits at UMW.
- Minimum 30 semester credits earned through traditional classroom experience.
- No more than 30 credits for a Life/Work Portfolio submitted within one year of successfully completing BLST 101 and before the maximum of 90 transfer credits reached.
- No more than 30 credits total in alternative credit testing (i.e., DANTES, CLEP, etc.).
- No more than 30 military-based credits.
- No more than 12 credits (combined total) in internship and supervised teaching.
- No more than 12 credits of individual instruction in music counted in the required 120 credits, and no more than 10 credits in music ensemble courses (orchestra, chorus, ensemble)
Call the Office of Bachelor of Liberal Studies, 654-1120, should you have any questions about the academic policies of the B.L.S. program.