1.3 STATEMENT OF COMMUNITY VALUES
[As adopted by the Rector and Visitors of UMW, April 20, 2018.]
As a public, liberal arts university, the University of Mary Washington community is dedicated to providing a diverse, accepting, and supportive environment that holds all of its members to the highest standards of conduct, scholarship, integrity, inclusiveness, respect, and engagement. Through a commitment to these values, we strive to transform our academic community into a place where all will learn, thrive, and grow. As faculty, staff, and students of the UMW community, we are committed to upholding these common values:
- Accountability – we promote practices, behaviors, and attitudes where individuals take responsibility for their actions and decisions.
- Scholarship – we promote intellectual inquiry by engaging ideas and one another in order to gain better understanding and contribute to knowledge.
- Personal and Institutional Integrity – we are honorable in our academic and work endeavors as well as our interactions with others.
- Inclusive Excellence – we strive for all members of the community to have equitable access to opportunities for participation and the resources necessary for success.
- Respect and Civility – we foster an environment in which every individual is treated with dignity at all times by valuing the inherent worth of all identities, abilities, and differences.
- Engagement – we develop engaged members of our community who actively participate in the community through responsible leadership and service.
We ASPIRE to live these values and work to support our collective and individual successes.