Admission and Enrollment

The University of Mary Washington offers a number of different enrollment options. Each is designed to meet the needs of a particular student population. All of the University’s degree programs may be pursued on either a full-time or part-time basis.

The University’s College of Arts and Sciences, which is located on the Fredericksburg campus, offers undergraduate degree programs and course work in the liberal arts and sciences. Most students pursue the traditional Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) or Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree programs. Students are initially enrolled as undeclared students and declare their major after the completion of 28 credit hours.

Students interested in programs offered by the College of Business or the College of Education enroll initially as undeclared students and then later apply for admission to either a Business or Education program.  See the specific sections in this Catalog under College of Business or College of Education for further details.

The Bachelor of Liberal Studies (BLS) program offers a flexible degree option specifically designed to meet the needs of adult students who have substantial college experience and want to complete a bachelor’s degree in the liberal arts or sciences. Non-degree-seeking students are those who do not necessarily wish to earn a degree from the University of Mary Washington but who enroll in limited course work to satisfy particular needs or for general interest.

The Bachelor of Science in Nursing completion program (BSN) permits registered nurses to complete her/his baccalaureate education in nursing. The program is designed to meet the needs of the working adult student. Students transfer in credits from a community college or hospital nursing program. Students are enrolled in the BSN Completion program upon admission to the university.

The nondegree enrollment process is much simpler and less formal than that for degree programs. Individuals may enroll on a space-available basis as non-degree students for the regular session or the summer term.

Anyone considering applying to the University should consult the most recent publications of the particular program or contact the appropriate office for more information.