The College of Education of the University of Mary Washington prepares educators for the 21st century who are knowledgeable, skilled, collaborative, reflective, and sensitive to diverse learner needs. To accomplish this, we:
- Are grounded in a strong liberal arts curriculum.
- Emphasize school-based experiences through which students solidify their understanding of the nature of the learner and effective teaching and motivational practices.
- Build a diverse community of practice involving strong partnerships among students, faculty, local teachers, and administrators.
- Enhance teacher aptitudes for research and critical decision making and ensure knowledge of learning theories and research-based pedagogy.
- Challenge educators to respond to the changing nature of learning in the 21st century through an emphasis on multi-literacies.