B.A./B.S. Degree

The choice of major program determines which degree one receives.

Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degrees are offered in Anthropology, Art History, Classics (majors in Classical Archaeology, Classical Civilization, and Latin), Communication and Digital Studies, English (majors in English and English: Creative Writing Concentration), Modern Foreign Languages (majors in French, German, and Spanish), Geography, Historic Preservation, History, International Affairs, Music, Performing Arts (major in Theatre), Philosophy and Religion (majors in Philosophy; Philosophy: Pre-Law Concentration; and Religion), Political Science, Sociology, and Studio Art.

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degrees are offered in Biology, Business Administration (majors in Accounting, Business Administration, International Business, and Marketing), Chemistry (majors in Chemistry and Biochemistry), Computer Science (majors in Computer Science and Cybersecurity), Economics, Environmental Science and Geology (majors in Environmental Geology, Geology, Environmental Science: Natural Science Concentrations, and Environmental Science: Social Science Concentration), Mathematics, Physics (majors in Physics and Applied Physics), and Psychology.

Both the B.A. and B.S. degrees require 120 credits for completion. Both degrees also require an overall cumulative grade-point average of at least 2.00 (equivalent to a “C” average) on Mary Washington course work, as well as a cumulative grade-point average of at least 2.00 in each major program on Mary Washington course work. The residence requirement is as follows: To be considered a degree candidate, a student must earn at least 30 academic credits at the University of Mary Washington, including at least half the credits required for the major program unless more are required by the major department. Students must also earn at least 15 of the last 21 credits at Mary Washington. Active duty military students may request a waiver to the residency requirement that 15 of the last 21 credits be earned at UMW. (Students should contact the Office of Academic Services to request the waiver; a copy of the student’s orders is required as documentation.)

Additional important information is contained in the description of B.A./B.S. General Education Requirements.

See the details about B.A./B.S. Major Requirements for important information about the major program.

Transfer Courses After Matriculation

Students admitted to degree programs at Mary Washington may use courses taken at other colleges and universities to meet Mary Washington degree requirements by obtaining prior approval from the Office of the Registrar. All courses must be approved in advance for transfer credit. Courses to be counted in the major program must also be approved by the student’s major advisor or department chair, who helps the student select course work related to major requirements at Mary Washington. Pre-approved transfer credit will be applied to an UMW degree only if the Office of the Registrar receives an official transcript of that course work by the University’s final deadline.

Second Degree or Post-Baccalaureate Major

A student who has earned a bachelor’s degree from the University of Mary Washington and wishes to pursue further undergraduate work may either complete a post-baccalaureate major and have it noted on the permanent record (with the date of completion) or earn a second degree if it is different from the first degree (for example, a subsequent B.A. or BLS, if the first degree was a B.S.).

Second Degree. The student must apply for admission to the new degree program through the Office of Admissions and must earn at least 30 additional credits at Mary Washington after completion of the first degree. No more than 14 of these credits can be completed prior to matriculation for the second degree. The most appropriate 90 credits will be selected to count toward the second degree. The student must complete the major program and general education requirements in the Academic Catalog in effect at the time of matriculation into the second degree.

A student who earned his or her first degree from another institution must enter Mary Washington as a transfer student, then complete the major program and general education requirements of the second degree as defined in the Academic Catalog in effect at the time of matriculation into the second degree.

Post-Baccalaureate Major. A student who has earned a degree at UMW who is completing only an additional major must complete the Major Program requirements printed in the Academic Catalog at the time of major declaration if the student has not discontinued enrollment at UMW for more than two semesters. A student returning after an absence of more than two semesters will be required to complete the major program requirements listed in the Academic Catalog in effect at the time of re-enrollment. Any B.A./B.S. student wishing to pursue a post-baccalaureate major must apply in the Office of the Registrar. A BLS student must apply in the BLS Office.