Assorted Administrative Services, Procedures, and Policies


8.5.1  Campus Closings  Breaks and Official Closings   The University officially closes for Spring and Fall breaks, semester breaks, and for the following holidays: Thanksgiving, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Memorial Day, and Independence Day.  At these times, classes are not in session and services are curtailed—faculty should check for hours of service and on mail delivery.  Specific dates for these periods are included in the University Academic calendar, available at  Inclement Weather Closing    If weather conditions or other emergency circumstances dictate the closing of the University, the decision to close will be announced as soon as possible through the University hotline (540-654-2424).  Notice will also be given to radio and television stations serving the Fredericksburg, Washington/Northern Virginia, and Richmond areas.

8.5.2  Keys Faculty members will be issued building and office keys upon the written recommendation of the department chair. Faculty members must sign a receipt for the keys issued, and must return these keys when no longer needed or upon terminating employment at the University. Keys issued to a faculty member may not be duplicated, nor may they be given or loaned to any other person. Procedures for distribution of keys to faculty may differ depending on campus location. Lost keys should be reported to the University Police Office ( or the Locksmith (540-654-1643).  For additional information, consult the department office manager, department chair, or the University Police or the Locksmith

8.5.3  Mail  Each faculty member has a box in his or her department for delivery of on-campus and US mail received by the Campus Post Office.   Outgoing business mail must be accompanied by the appropriate form so that postage costs can be allocated to the correct office.  Consult the Post Office Manager for additional information about mail policies.

8.5.4  Posters/Signs    No posters, signs, notices, advertisements, etc., shall be displayed anywhere on campus except on bulletin boards within the buildings, on the outdoor bulletin boards, or on the tables in dining hall. Posters, signs, etc., shall be completely removed by the party or parties who posted or displayed the materials within twenty-four hours following the event or activity. Each college may establish additional rules and exceptions to this policy as needed for student elections and special events. For additional information about scheduling and promoting events on campus, consult the Office of University Relations and Communications.

8.5.5  Telephones    Faculty office phones use “Voice over IP” (VoIP) equipment.  Orders for new service, changes in present service, repairs, etc. should be made through the department chair to the Department of Information Technology’s Network and Communications Services division.  Personal long-distance calls are not authorized or permitted.  Employees using the long-distance lines for personal business may be subject to legal action.

8.5.6  Purchasing and Disbursing Procedures    Orders for materials, supplies, and equipment are placed through one’s academic department and are authorized by the department chair.  Faculty should plan orders far enough in advance to make certain that needed items arrive in time and are charged to the appropriate fiscal year.  Commonwealth of Virginia purchasing and disbursing regulations, to which the University must adhere, are complex and subject to change.  Contact the Office of Purchasing and Central Storeroom with questions about specific purchasing procedures.  Information is also available at

8.5.7  Travel Regulations Faculty professional travel is governed by Commonwealth regulations and procedures, the specific details of which are subject to change.  Travel regulations apply to current faculty, to visiting candidates interviewing for faculty positions, and to visiting speakers.  The Commonwealth business meal regulations set limits on meal policies and charges both off- and on-campus, including meals with candidates, visiting speakers, and business meetings.  Various forms, procedures, and signatures are required in order for Commonwealth funds to be used for professional travel.  Faculty travelers need to allow sufficient time for filing the Request for Overnight Travel form and obtaining all requisite signatures.  Complete details governing University-supported travel are available at

8.5.8  Accident Reporting    In the event of a workplace accident, faculty should consult the procedures for “Accident Reporting” as contained in the UMW Safety Plan chapter 4:  In the event a faculty member is involved in a car accident involving pool cars or university vehicles, he or she should adhere to the vehicle accident reporting procedures as contained in chapter 20 of the UMW Safety Plan:

8.5.9  Smoking Policy    It is the objective of the University of Mary Washington to provide the healthiest environment possible for students, staff, and faculty members. To this end, it is the policy of the university that (1) smoking is prohibited in all buildings, and UMW and state vehicles, and (2) the right of the nonsmoker to protect his or her health from the effects of tobacco smoke will take precedence over an individual’s desire to smoke.  Additional details about this policy may be found at  Persons may also contact the Human Resources Office for information.

8.5.10  Alcohol Policy Faculty members are reminded that the serving or consumption of alcohol at University events is regulated by state law and by the University’s Alcohol Policy, found at:  The legal drinking age in Virginia is twenty-one.

8.5.11  Drug-Free Certification    The Drug-Free Workplace Act went into effect on March 8, 1989.  This act requires employers who contract with, or receive grants from, federal agencies to certify that they (the employer/grantee) will meet certain requirements for providing a drug-free workplace.  The requirement applies to contracts or grants awarded to individuals as well as to the University.  Certifications will be provided by the University’s sponsored research officer or designee, usually as a part of the grant application and/or award process.   Information about applying for external funding is available at: